Local Historian's Glossary Of Words And Terms
Researching local history can be absorbing and rewarding, but often key documents (such as Manorial and Estate papers, probate inventories and parish registers) are full of archaic or Latin words, terms and phrases which require translation.
This glossary was first compiled in the late 1980's from a collection of ancient words drawn up by the author. Since then many more words have been added, making this book a valuable reference guide for both the local and family historian.
This third edition includes:
- Over 3000 unfamiliar words and terms
- Lists of obselete weights and measures
- Comparative costs of living and values of the pound since 1300
- Latin words and phrases
- English currency back to the Roman period and Decimal Currency Convertor
- Regnal years of English monarchs 1066-1952
- Saint's Days, Festivals and Moveable Feast Days
- Roman Numerals
- Dates of sittings of the Supreme Court
This product has not yet been reviewed.